Re: Evolution Question

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:14:18 +0100 (BST), Jonathan Allen
<jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ben,
>
> > On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:35:10 +0100 (BST), Jonathan Allen
> > <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
> > > However, if a user isn't or hasn't logged in, their incoming mail will
> > > continue to sit on the IMAP server and not get transfered to their
> > > Evolution Inbox.  How can I allow the buddy to get that mail transfered
> > > to the real user's Evolution Inbox so that it can be seen through the
> > > symlink mechanism ?
> > >
> > > Or is there a better way of servicing this business requirement ?
> >
> > You want procmail and/or fetchmail.  There is tons of documentation on
> > both in the ether -- Google is your friend.
>
> Thank you for your suggestions.  I hope you'll excuse my questioning you
> a little more on that.
>
> As I understand it, fetchmail does a POP3/IMAP pickup from a mailserver
> and delivers it to the SMTP socket of the machine on which it is running.
> How does that get mail into the Evolution Inbox ?

Fetchmail/procmail will allow you to deliver the mail to multiple
people, and even allow individuals to control who gets copies of what
kind of messages -- but as I re-read your original post, I see that
you probably also want mail statuses and the like propagated from user
to user.  In that case,  I would use one central mail box for both
people, using IMAP.

> As I understand it, procmail is a local filter that sits between an MTA
> and the /var/spool/mail/~ mailbox.  Were you suggesting a procmail rule
> to deliver everything to ~/evolution/Inbox/mbox ?  If so, does Evolution
> support the mailbox locking mechanism, or does it expect with its own
> Inbox to be the only one using it ?

I wouldn't use local mailboxes at all.  IMAP is better suited to what
you're trying to achieve, I think.

--
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs@xxxxxxxxxx
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves@xxxxxxxxx