Log out and back in after glib and gtk update?

This is a question about the correct procedure when updating any major
component of ones underlying desktop environment, and not specifically
glib or gtk: after the update should you log out and log back in again
(assuming you are running the desktop environment in question at the
time)?

With desktop applications I would almost always quit the application in
question before installing the update and then restart it afterwards. If
X itself is updated I would certainly log out and log back in again. But
what about things like glib or gtk or other underlying parts of ones
desktop environment? After the update should you log out and log back in
again, or will applications just automagically start using the new
versions of the libraries with no intervention on my part?

TIA, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com