mild profanity and other possible offences

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 11:24:58PM -0500, W. Guy Thomas wrote:

> bitch

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 00:01, Matthew Miller wrote:

While your sympathy to the guy who got dumped is appeciated, this kind of name calling isn't really appropriate on this list. It doesn't prompte a friendly atmosphere, even if you mean well. I'm not any sort of authority or anything, and I'm not trying to force you, but I personally would appreciate it.

I was not in the least offended by G's use of the word "bitch" - it was funny, sympathetic and entirely appropriate. (It was also one-sided - maybe the guy was a real jerkwad and deserved to be dumped. Insufficient evidece.) It was not necessary to call in the Thought Police on this one.

If we get too uptight about every little seeming transgression - "That was off-topic!" "Ooh, Mommy, he said a bad word!" "Oh, my poor delicate ears!" "Hey, you could possibly interpret that to mean that he says I'm an asshole!" (You know who you are.) "Suzy stepped over on *my* side of the line!" - then we're going to need Mary Poppins to step in and show us how to be children again.

Do not make me have to consult a lawyer to post on this forum.

For Chrissake, and I don't mean that in any religious or reverent way, lighten up!