Re: New Install /w Misc. problems

Lloyd Hayes wrote:
I'll start with the Xsane problems. Running FC2 on an older Gateway laptop, P1, 233 MHz, 128 MB RAM, 6 GB Hard drive.
In addition to the above hardware, I have a HP PSC-1210 (All-in-one Scanner/Printer), 40 GB USB v2.0 Hard drive (Buslink), USB v2.0 52X CD-Burner/DVD Player, PCMCIA USB v2.0 hub, 2 PCMCIA 802.11b cards (Netware and a generic one which was free), PCMCIA US Robotics 802.11g card, Nikon camera w/usb connector, various other media usb connectors.

Background: For the last few months, in my spare time, I've been using my backup computer to play around with putting FreeBSD 5.2.1, Slackware 10.0, Red Hat 9, Debian "Sarge", and now I am back to putting Fedora Core 2 on it for the 2nd time. /(Fedora Core 1 simply refused to install on this computer.)/ At this point, Red Hat 9 is my favorite system and seems to work best, but has outdated drivers and doesn't seem to be supported any more. Fedora has the current drivers and it is supported, and it is only a small step down from Red Hat.

1.) I'll hit the Wi-Fi cards 1st. I travel all of the time and hook exclusively into the Internet by WiFi systems across the country. I use my US Robotics "g" card most of the time since most systems are running at 5.4 MB/sec, but a few are only running at 2.2 MB/sec or "b" speeds. So far none of my cards has been supported by a UNIX type system. I'm curious if anything is being done in that area?

2.) HP PSC-1210 printer/scanner. It prints out fine using the cups drivers. But Xsane is not showing up in Gnome, except in Gimp. When I run Sane under Gimp, it searches for the scanner and says that there is no scanner connected. After the search, it only gives me the option of closing the search program. I don't know of a way to manually configure it.

I use the PSC-2110 and this is how I get it set up

First the required rpms,these are the latest on FC2

hpijs-1.6-1
libsane-hpoj-0.91-7
hpoj-0.91-7

Then run 'ptal-init setup' as root and that "should" be that.

    david