Re: Numlock key turn on logon

On Oct 10, 2004 at 04:35, Jeff Vian in a soothing rage wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 23:21, Harikrishnan M wrote:
>> > How do I setup fedora so that when I log into gnome the numlock will be
>> > on. I have tried the save session settings and it does not seem to save
>> > this option.
>>
>> This can be done using the setting in your BIOS. The state, at
>> power-on,  of many such keys are stored in the BIOS data area.
>
>That is what I thought, but so far it has never worked for me.
>Fedora follows the legacy of all RedHat versions I have tried and it
>does not honor the bios setting for the numlock key.  I live with it but
>would rather have it set according to the bios.
>
>If you can tell me of any other key settings that are in the bios of
>most computers I would love to know what ones they are.  The bios on all
>boards I have ever used only has the numlock key setting.
>From the console, no X, all you need is something like
the following in /etc/rc.local:

INITTY=/dev/tty[1-8]
for tty in $INITTY
  do
   /usr/bin/setleds -D +num < $tty
done

If you use KDE, this can be set per user via the KDE Control Centre:

Peripherals -> Keyboard -> Numlock on KDE Startup

GNOME users are outta luck.

N.Emile...
If you try to please everyone, somebody is not going to like it.
 17:16:01  up 104 days, 10:30,  3 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.02, 0.00