Re: Almost ALSA!

On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 09:03, David Curtis wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 00:40, W. Guy Thomas wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 21:16, W. Guy Thomas wrote:
> > > Ok, I'm very close finally to getting ALSA working on this laptop
> > > (Toshiba 330CDT) with a standard Yamaha opl3sa2 card.
> > >
> > > I have loaded the libs, the utils, the driver, the kernel has been
> > > upgraded and soundcore is loaded. Everything is good until I attempt to
> > > modprobe the actual device.
> > >
> > > I get this:

> > > This is my lsmod, it appears to me that things are loaded
> > > properly and I have also already run alsaconf which tries to detect
> > > the card. lsmod here:
> <snip>
>
> </snip>
> > >
> > > I believe I am very close to finally getting this done.
> > > I would very much appreciate any tips from you guys.
> > > Thanks in advance always,
> > >
> > > =G
> >
> > Well, I am about to finally give up completely on ALSA. I know I have
> > followed many links, googled for weeks, tried many varieties of
> > solutions. I see that this onboard yamaha opl3sa *is* supported and have
> > tried so many possibilities that my eyes are purple.
> <snip>
>
> </snip>
>

> > But with no sound, there just isn't much joy. When I had the previous
> > 2.4 kernel up, OSS worked, but many other things needed to be fixed that
> > led me to the 2.6.8 kernel. Thus, all the things I fixed by upgrading
> > the kernel are great now, but I left sound behind.
> >
> > If anyone has one clear and concise personal experience with ALSA and
> > specifically the OPL3SA2 Yamaha please let me know. I have googled on it
> > more than you will ever do in a lifetime.
> >
> > Happy with my victories. Sad about this last one. And so important.
> >
> > Take care!
>
> This guy here http://www.antlinux.com/Toshiba490XCDT/ got alsa working
> on a Toshiba 490XCDT which also has the yamaha opl3sa2. Seems to be
> similar to what you have above, except he has added entries in
> /etc/conf.modules. Have you done this?
>
> Dave

Yes, I've seen that page and many many others, all very similar, and I
see what needs to be done. However, after going thru all the necessary
steps, I get to the most important one, inserting the device with
modprobe, and I get this:

[root@Toshi guy]# /sbin/modprobe snd-opl3sa2
FATAL: Error inserting snd_opl3sa2
(/lib/modules/2.6.8-1.521/kernel/sound/isa/snd-opl3sa2.ko): No such
device

I have looked in that dir and the .ko file *does* exist!
What in the world am I missing??

Thanks.

=G