Re: Almost ALSA!

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 21:16, W. Guy Thomas wrote:
> Ok, I'm very close finally to getting ALSA working on this laptop
> (Toshiba 330CDT) with a standard Yamaha opl3sa2 card.
>
> I have loaded the libs, the utils, the driver, the kernel has been
> upgraded and soundcore is loaded. Everything is good until I attempt to
> modprobe the actual device.
>
> I get this:
>

> > [root@Toshi speaker-test]# /sbin/modprobe snd-card-opl3sa2
> > FATAL: Module snd_card_opl3sa2 not found.
>
> This is my lsmod, it appears to me that things are loaded
> properly and I have also already run alsaconf which tries to detect
> the card. lsmod here:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
> snd_opl3_lib           11776  0
> snd_hwdep              10400  1 snd_opl3_lib
> snd_cs4231_lib         33412  0
> snd_mpu401_uart         9344  0
> snd_rawmidi            26432  1 snd_mpu401_uart
> snd_seq_device          8328  2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_rawmidi
> snd_pcm                93092  1 snd_cs4231_lib
> snd_timer              30468  3 snd_opl3_lib,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm
> snd                    53732  8 snd_opl3_lib,snd_hwdep,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> soundcore               7713  1 snd
> snd_page_alloc          9864  2 snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm
> md5                     3905  1
> ipv6                  219268  8
> lp                      9773  0
> autofs                 17217  0
> orinoco_cs              7625  1
> orinoco                46285  1 orinoco_cs
> hermes                  6593  2 orinoco_cs,orinoco
> ds                     12997  5 orinoco_cs
> i82365                 20129  1
> pcmcia_core            50953  3 orinoco_cs,ds,i82365
> ohci1394               31577  0
> ieee1394              285205  1 ohci1394
> floppy                 54513  0
> sg                     29153  0
> scsi_mod              106001  1 sg
> parport_pc             21249  0
> parport                36361  2 lp,parport_pc
> toshiba_acpi            5085  0
> button                  4825  0
> battery                 7373  0
> asus_acpi               9305  0
> ac                      3532  0
> ext3                   96681  2
> jbd                    66393  1 ext3
> [root@Toshi speaker-test]#
>
> I believe I am very close to finally getting this done.
> I would very much appreciate any tips from you guys.
> Thanks in advance always,
>
> =G

Well, I am about to finally give up completely on ALSA. I know I have
followed many links, googled for weeks, tried many varieties of
solutions. I see that this onboard yamaha opl3sa *is* supported and have
tried so many possibilities that my eyes are purple.

It appears to me that there are just too many things I still don't know
about how linux makes calls from say modules.conf which has inserted at
the end of it "yeah, also call modules.conf.init"...and I get lost
trying to keep track of it all. I understand very well the need for
modularization to keep bug tracking minimal, but for the end user it
becomes very tiresome.

I did get samba printing working very nicely to the rest of my windows
wireless network in the house. And gnome-meeting with my webcam is
looking promising (I will use this for my wife to talk to friends and
family in Mexico).

The wireless is completely *flawless* with nary a dropped packet, very
unlike my experience with both W2k and XP.

But with no sound, there just isn't much joy. When I had the previous
2.4 kernel up, OSS worked, but many other things needed to be fixed that
led me to the 2.6.8 kernel. Thus, all the things I fixed by upgrading
the kernel are great now, but I left sound behind.

If anyone has one clear and concise personal experience with ALSA and
specifically the OPL3SA2 Yamaha please let me know. I have googled on it
more than you will ever do in a lifetime.

Happy with my victories. Sad about this last one. And so important.

Take care!

=G
mrguytx at austin dot rr dot com