Re: DVD on Fedora

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 05:55, Trevor Smith wrote:
> On October 7, 2004 3:27 pm, David Mamanakis wrote:
snip
> And, in answer to your question, I also went looking for a DVD player a few
> weeks ago and tried xine and liked it.
>
> There is a step that no one has mentioned here yet that tripped me up though.
> My system had no idea where my DVD player was (it's the same as my CD
> player). I had to do this:
>
> ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd
>
> (which creates a symbolic link from /dev/cdrom to /dev/dvd so software looking
> for /dev/dvd knows that it's the same think as my /dev/cdrom.) Just in case
> you run into the same problem...
>

> --
> Trevor Smith // trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've installed xine and the libdvdcss to allow playback of DVDs. I've
done this a few times in the past with different distros, including FC1
and had no problems. I've now installed on FC2 but when playing a DVD, I
get a series of different pages coming up relating to copywrites for
different countries. Then the screen blanks and I get a message on the
lines of you perhaps don't have permission to view this video, or
something like that. Anyone got any clues as to what is wrong, or to
alter?

Peter.