Re: Is there a Womens user group in Fedora (as in KDE) ? (was FC2 does not save settings(

Jon Savage wrote:

Yes and no. There are distinct gender specific differences that impact
both how we communicate & how we learn. I'm not aware of a fedora
specific woman's group but there is a virtual LUG-
http://www.linuxchix.org/ (quoted from their web page):
"LinuxChix is a community for women who like Linux, and for supporting
women in computing. The membership ranges from novices to experienced
users, and includes professional and amateur programmers, system
administrators and technical writers."

There's also a HOWTO that is all about "how to encourage women in
linux" on TDLP-
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO/

That is an interesting read, the fact that there's an actual HOWTO on
this subject implies that there is at least a perceived need to be
more inclusive (dare I say embrace) of women in  the linux community.

Bests

Jon

Jon is right actually, the reason women get scared away from Linux and tech so much is because a large number of the guys act and post in such an arrogant and demeaning manner that they end up turning women off from participating.

Its the same for inexperienced users too, not just women, some of the Linux and technical community act extremely arrogant and we end up pushing away the very people we are trying to convince to join our community.

I actually read that Encourage-Women-Linux-Howto several months ago, I have to admit I am personally guilty of doing a few of the bad habits listed in that document.

I hope Kali and any other women posters to the group don't feel they have to split off and form a womens-fedora-list, I for one think that their input is important and it would be a shame to lose it.

Sincerely,
Gerald