Display Problems

Hi All,

    I had TwinView working last night, finished up what I was doing
and shut the computer down.  Today when I turned it back on TwinView
is only partially working.  The computer boots and runs fine. When X
starts you get a desktop on the monitor, and a second desktop on the
TV, which is the same as last night.  However when I try to run
something on the second display (mplayer usually) I get the error
"Error: Can't open display: localhost:0.1"

    Does anyone have any ideas?  How do I change permissions for a
display?  There is a desktop with wallpaper and icons so I know it's
almost working :(  Also any ideas how turning off the computer may
have changed things?  Thanks for any help/advice I'm at a loss
here....

Chris