Re: OT: spammers are using my domain again

On October 8, 2004 5:14 am, Paul wrote:

> Backtrace the swines, report to their ISP and if in the UK or US, the
> police.

Ug. Two midterms next week and a full time job. No time for backtracing
swine. :-(

> Not all of them. Big ISPs will kick first, ask later. Personally, I'd
> use a pgp signature, try to register that with your ISP (though that may
> be difficult as lots of front/help desk bods wouldn't know what pgp
> signature was if it came up and whacked them in the face with a frozen
> plaice!) and make sure that people know that if it doesn't have your pgp
> sig, then it's not from you.

That's a good suggestion but a PGP sig only proves I did send it (unless I
later claim I've been compromised and had my private key stolen). It doesn't
prove that a non-signed message was not sent by me. If I were a spammer and
everyone followed that protocol, all I would have to do is follow the same
protocol (sign all personal messages) then *not* sign my spams and say, "see,
those aren't from me, they're not signed!" :-(

--
Trevor Smith // trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx