Re: Moving Along with Fedora!

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 14:24, David Mamanakis wrote:
> Greetings!
> I know most of you really might not care, but I thought I would introduce
> myself, and ask a question or two...
> I am David Mamanakis, I live in S. Ogden, UT and I worked for Microsoft for 6
> years, dealing mostly with the Operating Systems...
>
> Currently I have decided that I am sick of it...Longhorn, the next version of
> Microsquat Bloatware, is just too much...

I take it you would never recommend Longhorn to any enterprise client.

> Because I have limited exposure to Unix/Linux I would like to ask a question
> about the directory structure of Linux...
> When I installed, I used the "auto setup" thing, and let it have at it...
> Now I have all kinds of directories like "\" and "\root" and "\usr"...

I assume you mean "/" where you typed "\". In Linux, "\" is an escape
character only, never a folder delimiter.

> What I would like to know, and feel free to mail me directly, or point me to a
> web resource, but I would like to know the windows equivalent of the Linux
> directories...

OK, here's my best shot:

> C:\ = ??? in linux system

The best equivalent of C:\ is simply /, the root directory. Even that is
an inexact equivalence. You see, in the Linux file system, everything is
tied together in one massive tree. You do not have separate trees for
separate devices as a general rule.

In practice, many devices can have more than one name, depending on how
you "mount" them to the tree.

"Mounting" is another thing you'll have to get used to. In DOS/Windows,
devices mount automatically. In Linux, devices mount when you tell them
to mount, by and large--except that in Gnome, the usual desktop we use,
CD-ROM disks mount automatically, because Gnome has a routine to do
that. But: you cannot just eject a CD any time you please. You have to
*unmount* the CD before you may eject it. (Last time I checked, FC2's
version of Gnome automatically ejects a CD as soon as you unmount it.)

CD's aside, all the letter designations for drives have disappeared.
Therefore, the rough equivalents of various drives would be:

DOS/Windows:	Device Name:	Typical Mount Point: