Re: Moving Along with Fedora!

David Mamanakis wrote:
Greetings!
I know most of you really might not care, but I thought I would introduce
myself, and ask a question or two...
I am David Mamanakis, I live in S. Ogden, UT and I worked for Microsoft for 6
years, dealing mostly with the Operating Systems...

Currently I have decided that I am sick of it...Longhorn, the next version of
Microsquat Bloatware, is just too much...
I have decided to move on with other options, and I came across Fedora.

Currently I have it installed on 2 of my 6 machines, and with both machines,
it is the primary OS (no Windows installed).
These machines are a Dell Percision 220 (dual proc) and my old laptop, Toshiba
Protege 7200.

I am preping another 2 machines to run Linux/Windows XP dual boot.

Because I have limited exposure to Unix/Linux I would like to ask a question
about the directory structure of Linux...
When I installed, I used the "auto setup" thing, and let it have at it...
Now I have all kinds of directories like "\" and "\root" and "\usr"...

What I would like to know, and feel free to mail me directly, or point me to a
web resource, but I would like to know the windows equivelent of the linux
directories...
C:\ = ??? in linux system
C:\Windows = ??? in linux
C:\Program Files = ??? in linux
etc...
or better yet, run it backwards...
\ = ??? in windows system
\root = ??? in windows
\usr = ??? in windows

This would help me navigate and get comfortable with the new system...

I have other questions, but one thing at a time...

Thanks for any help, and I look forward to becoming part of the Linux community!

--E

Basically, you can say / in Linux is the same as C: in windows. The difference between windows and UNIX/Linux is the use of file systems and the mounting (usage) of those file systems. Windows does not allow you to have a separate file system (hard disk partition) mounted within the existing C: drive. Where under UNIX/Linux you can break up the / drive into multiple file systems each with it's own file system (hard drive partition). Example: You can have Linux setup as one big file system: / = /dev/hda1. Now lets assume that your hard drive is not big enough for your entire system including home. You can now add another disk to your system and setup as /home = /dev/hdb1 As far as Linux is concerned the new drive is a part of the overall system. Windows does not allow you to add another disk as say C:/windows where C: is a completely different partition.

HTH
Mike
--
Usenix member  http://www.usenix.org