Creating GNOME/KDE entries in user's menu from scripts...

Strictly not a Fedora question but I've been looking over the web for
a while for this one now.

I've created the desktop entry files and they work fine if I goto
their directory and click on them, but how do I put them in the main
menu?

I can understand the format of the .menu files, but where to put
them seems cryptic.

Thanks,
Jim