Re: Cuecat won't scan barcodes

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:05:55PM -0400, Robert Locke wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 22:37, Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> > I have a Cuecat barcode scanner that connects "inline" with the
> > keyboard.  It works fine with Win2k but won't scan properly under Fedora
> > (or any other Linux for that matter).  It should look just like a
> > keyboard, I think.  Does anyone have one working?
>
> I am not using the "inline" Cuecat (I think I remember reading it did
> not work with Linux), but the USB version works perfectly.  I just
> plugged it in to my FC2 system and it simply worked.

Gee, I never saw a USB model, I thought they all connected thru
the keyboard.

> > Also, is there an open source replacement for readerware?  Readerware
> > scans book ISBN's and looks them up on amazon.com to get their titles so
> > you can catalog your library of books.
>
> Actually, readerware works just fine under Linux since it is written
> entirely in Java.  Actually that is what I use the above Cuecat for,
> though admittedly I haven't started my book collection and only have all
> the DVDs in so far.

Back when the cuecat was being actively distributed, there were a
bunch of web pages on how to hack it, and some people were writing
software that you could us eon Linux to interpret its output into a
usable format. I have copies of it on a hard drive, somewhere. I think.
Did you try Google?

Fred

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------