Cuecat won't scan barcodes

I have a Cuecat barcode scanner that connects "inline" with the keyboard. It works fine with Win2k but won't scan properly under Fedora (or any other Linux for that matter). It should look just like a keyboard, I think. Does anyone have one working?

Also, is there an open source replacement for readerware? Readerware scans book ISBN's and looks them up on amazon.com to get their titles so you can catalog your library of books.

Thanks

Doug P