Re: Bell & ssh

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Do you want to let the remote machine beep or the local one?

echo -e '\a' > /dev/console
   will let beep remote

echo -e '\a'
   does beep on local host when running the command in an ssh session
on a remote host

Does local beep work on your working machine from a terminal or console?

Alexander

I want the remote box to beep. I want to understand where the difference is since the echo command executes on the remote machine regardless. How does ssh turn the bell off?

If a script is run via the console on a box, it beeps. Running the exact same script via an ssh session into that box doesn't beep. I want to use the noise to wake up the person next to the remote box.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill@xxxxxxx