Bell & ssh

A previous thread went over some bell issues. Here's another.

On a machine with no speakers connected to any sound board, and utilizing only the tiny speaker connected to the speaker terminals on the main board (or the buzzer mounted on some main boards), can anyone explain why
echo -e '\a'
works (beeps) from the console (not under X), but doesn't work via an SSH session into that box?

With 2 boxes next to me, if I ssh from one to the other, the echo command doesn't beep, and neither does hitting the backspace key when you're already at the beginning of a line. Performing the same thing on the machines console does produce the beeps.

How is the ssh session preventing the bell from ringing, and is there a way to fix this?

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill@xxxxxxx