Re: character encoding: Windows XP vs Linux

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Jean Morissette wrote:

Hi all,
When I transfert files from my girlfriend Windows XP computer to my Linux FC2 computer, I cannot read the files names properly from my Linux. Specials chacarters like é à è are remplaced with a white space. Can you help me or do I have to change my girlfriend? ;-)
Thank
Jean
PS: My variable $LANG is equal to fr_CA.UTF-8.

edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n

and try using fr_CA only without UTF-8:
check if under SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en ...etc " you have also the fr_CA without .UTF-8

then change LANG to

LANG="fr_CA"

leave all the rest unchanged and then reboot

this is my file so you can understand better what i mean

LANG="en_US"
SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

-- Dott. Carlo Orecchia E-Mail: carlo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Web: http://numb.darktech.org/carlo/