Re: character encoding: Windows XP vs Linux

Am Do, den 30.09.2004 schrieb Jean Morissette um 0:06:
> Hi all,
> When I transfert files from my girlfriend Windows XP computer to my
> Linux FC2 computer, I cannot read the files names properly from my
> Linux.  Specials chacarters like é à è are remplaced with a white space.

> PS: My variable $LANG is equal to fr_CA.UTF-8.

Under FC1 the following did it for me (dual-boot with Windows 2000 Pro):

edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n

and add to the corresponding lines:

LANG="de_DE@euro"
SUPPORTED="de_DE@euro:de_DE:de"
SYSFONT="lat0-sun6"
SYSFONTACM="iso15"

I am not sure about the sysfont in FC2 (I remember FC2 does not
need/understand it), and for you it is of course not the german version.

But I just wonder, because under FC2 I could transfer anything from W2k
to FC2 without a problem with fonts.

Maybe you have to google a bit for french (?) settings.

Good luck, and if it works and you love your girl friend as well, so
everything might work out smoothly.

Regards,
Markus