Re: Choosing an approach to Fedora upgrades.

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 10:15:21AM -0400, Beartooth wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:51:55 -0700, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
>
> > One up2date option of great value is:
> >
> >     up2date  --show-orphans
> >
> > The only orphans you want are 'special' packages that
> > you know, love and understand.
>
> Most of this is way over my head, alas. I did hit that command once
> before, and got screensful of stuff -- but didn't and don't have any idea
> what to do about it. Go through them doing "rpm -e whatever"??

Erasing them is should not be your first thought.

Consider the list as a list of packaged to research.  They are
packages that you will not get 'magical' new updates for with up2date
or yum.  They might pose a future security or system stability
problem.  They might be important to you.

You can and should look for the original rpm package
and archive it and the  source rpm should you need it.

If you do not use the package then "rpm -e theunused"
is closer to the top of your option set.

Consider the XFree86 to Xorg update (RH9|FC1-->FC2).
Any XFree86 package should have been replaced by an
equivalent Xorg package.  If in packaging a replace rule
was missed then it is possible to have two sets of
code in the system and conflicts are possible.

The same is true for non RH distributions.  Example: If you are
running 'firefox' from the development site or Dag then  you update to a
new FCn that contains 'firefox' then it is important for most of us to
have only one on the system.  If you have to ask, that one is most
commonly the one that is part of the distribution not the development
package.

Both additions, deletions and renaming of packages count (yep 3).

BTW: firefox is in FC3T2 and not in FC2 and many FC2 users
enjoy working with firefox.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Me, I would "Rather" Not.