Re: Change of Intel to AMD motherboard

On or about 2004-09-28 07:57, Jim Higson whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

On Monday 27 Sep 2004 08:08, Rick Lim wrote:

Hi there, I have a running FC2 on a Intel 233mhz motherboard, I want to
move it to an AMD-K6-2/500 motherboard but it will not boot.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make this run on the AMD
motherboard.

I've done a similar thing a few times with no problems,

Binaries from the main repositories are all i386, so unless you've been installing packages specially compiled for your system I doubt there'll be a problem there.

Almost, but not quite, true. If you look at the files on the first distribution CD, you'll notice that there are two sets of kernels, smp and not-smp. Each set has a 586 and a 686 version. The appropriate one will be installed.

If you have a Pentium II or higher, then the 686 version will be installed. If you then move that drive to a machine which only has the 586 instruction set, it's not going to work.

--
Fritz Whittington
Let the fear of danger be a spur to prevent it; he that fears not, gives advantage to the danger. (Francis Quarles)