Re: nVidia Drivers

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 10:08:04PM +0100, Adam Mercer wrote:
> John Chapman wrote:
> >I have an nVidia FX5200 video card and I have downloaded its drivers
> >from nVidia.  When I try to run the installer it says I need to stop
> >the X Server.  How do I stop the X Server?
>
> while logged in as root on a virtual terminal, switch to run-level 3
>
> > telinit 3
>
> when you're done installing the drivers and modifying the X config
> return to run-level 5
>
> > telinit 5

The above should work more often than not.

Sometimes the transition from 5 to 3 will leave the
old driver loaded. this can cause problems....

If things act badly reboot to run level three.
There are two common way:

 A)   Edit /etc/inittab
      look for the line

	   id:5:initdefault:

      Change the 5 to a 3 and reboot.
      Run the installer. Fix the config file.
      Reverse the edit after the installer has run.
      reboot

 B)   When the system is starting up type A to append
      to the grub boot line.  Scan the instructions...

	 append a 3 to the boot line and continue.

      Run the installer.  Fix the config file.
      reboot

I like B because it leaves no perminant change.
It is also the easy path to initstate 1 (single user)
where some SELinux setup steps like "fixfiles relabel" are
best done.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Me, I would "Rather" Not.