Re: boot fedora core 2 from floppy

On or about 2004-09-28 14:00, Paul Howarth whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 19:45, Christopher Taylor wrote:

I am having problems dual booting my XP and fedora. The HP computer has a
hidden partition on the main drive which screws up any boot loader I've
tried causing me to have to reformat the drive and re-install xp. Is
there a way to istall the bootloader on floppy or cd and boot from there?

Better method:

1. Install XP as normal.
2. Install FC2 and set up grub as the bootloader, installed in your root
or boot partition rather than the MBR.
3. Use bootpart (http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm) to add an entry
to the XP boot loader menu to start grub from the appropriate partition.

I've never had a problem with this method.

Paul.

Probably something similar, but if you install GRUB on the /boot *partition* instead of the MBR, then you can use dd to copy the boot sector from that partition to an MSDOS file on your C: drive (say C:\linux.bin), then edit your boot.ini file to something like:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Maintenance Boot" /fastdetect
c:\linux.bin="Linux"

This gives you your normal Windows boot menu, but if you choose "Linux" then it passes the boot on to load GRUB.

--
Fritz Whittington
Force without wisdom falls of its own weight. (Horace, Odes)