Re: problem starting tomcat after OpenNMS install

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 18:05, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 11:44, Peter Halliday wrote:
> > I had tomcat installed, and could access it correctly before the
> > OpenNMS install.  OpenNMS is started, but just can't start tomcat now
> > after I installed the webapps for OpenNMS.  This is the error that is
> > in my tomcat log
> >
> > [ERROR] Digester - -Begin event threw exception
> > <java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.opennms.web.log.Log4JLogger>
> > Catalina.start: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> > org.opennms.web.log.Log4JLogger
> >
> > I am running Fedora Core 2
> > OpenNMS 1.1.3-2
> > Tomcat 4.1.27-13
> >
> > I have looked all over, but couldn't see anything about this issue.
> > It looks to me like it can't get to the jars, but not sure how that
> > would happen. Thanks for any help you can provide.
> >
> > Peter Halliday
>
> Been awhile since I played with OpenNMS but if I remember correctly you
> needed to have an older version of the java sdk installed.  At the time
> I think there was a garbage collection issue, the older version did it
> and the newer versions did not.
>
> May not be the problem you are having but something to check on.
>
> Could you have two versions installed and your paths are not pointing
> the same ones?
>
> --
> Scot L. Harris
> webid@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do.

JVM 1.4.2.X is fine, best thing to do is downgrade to the version of
tomcat at ftp.opennms.org. As far as that error I see it as well with
tomcat 4.1.18 but don't see any ill affects. I actually have slated the
next rainy saturday for working out the issues with running Tomcat
4.1.27. The OpenNMS list already has some stuff of relevance on it if
you want to run Tomcat 4.1.27.

And yes, java still has garbage collection issues, but many people will
never see them, appears you have to make quite a few socket calls or
some less common combination of calls.

I monitor about 450 nodes/1050 interfaces and have not seen the problem
since July, but I also run cvs head , never more than 2 weeks behind.

Ted