Re: get 'segmentation error' when installing Webmin RPM in Redhat 9.0

John Kennedy wrote:

I have an old Redhat 9.0 box that I haven't gotten around to upgrading to
fedora that gives me 'a segmentation' error message when I do
rpm -U webmin-1.160-1.noarch.rpm
I have tried rpm -i webmin-1.160-1.noarch.rpm as well and this locks up.
Could someone please tell me what I'm dealing with here?
Thanks.
Johnny

Try:

rpm -Uvh webmin-1.160-1.noarch.rpm

If it doesn't work, you may have been bitten by the RPM lock file bug that plagued RH9 (yes, it is Redhat 9, not 9.0).

I can't remember off-hand how to fix it, it was something like kill all RPM instances, remove some files that ended in 'db' and do a rebuild on the RPM database.

A google search may bring up the steps required as this was very prevalent.

Regards,
Ed.