Re: Motherboard for Fedora server

Andrew W. Donoho wrote:

On Sep 17, 2004, at 17:12, James Wilkinson wrote:

    Andrew W. Donoho wrote:

        I did have a few problems. NVidia support
        for the 2.6 kernel was not quite all there when I started. Then
        NVidia
        released new drivers that worked on the 2.6.5 FC2 kernel.
        Upgrading to
        the 2.6.8 FC2 kernel broke the nvnet drivers. To let things settle
        down, I have temporarily installed a Tulip derived 100baseTX card.

Have you tried the forcedeth driver that comes with the kernel?

Yes, I have tried it. I expect that nvnet and forcedeth are "fighting" each other. nvnet must have removed something that forcedeth needed. For the time being, the tulip card is working fine. I expect that this will get sorted out sometime in the FC3 test phase. I'm not in a hurry and am, in general, quite happy with the machine.

No, the NVidia ethernet driver is closed source, and is compiled for a particular kernel. When you upgrade kernels, you have to rebuild the closed driver for the new kernel (doesn't matter if its the ethernet, sound, or video driver, they all work the same way). That's why I'm using the forcedeth ethernet driver, the module is rebuilt and distributed with the Fedora kernels. *BUT* I am still using the nvidia video driver (for the 3D support), and I must rebuild it everytime I upgrade the kernel.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx