Re: Implementing SPAM and virus protection for mail server

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 15:20, James Marcinek wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm currently running Postfix and cyrus-imapd for my email solution. I'm looking
> for an Open Source solution, and tips, for SPAM and virus protection. Can anyone
> point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

spamassassin is very good once you get the bayes database trained and
add a few of the SARE rulesets.  The new version (3.0) implements the
SURBL lists and reports are that it does an excellent job.

In addition I highly recommend greylisting.  I am sure you can find a
package to implement greylisting for postfix.  I used milter-greylist
with sendmail.  I was getting between 3000 and 6000 spam messages a
day.  Greylisting reduced this to 5 to 10 spam messages a day.  And
spamassassin typically tags those for me.  The biggest benefit that
greylisting provides is that it rejects the spam messages before your
system ever has to look at the body of the message.  This means your
system does not have to spend as many resources processing spam through
spamassassin.  Has proved to be much more effective than I had ever
expected.

The combination of the two, greylisting and spamassassin, has virtually
eliminated spam at the office.  Email is once again a beneficial tool
instead of a onerous task that you have to plow through each day.

I have not implemented it but I understand clamav does a good job of
scanning for windows viruses.  Of course if you are not running windows
then you probably don't need to bother with that.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

Two is company, three is an orgy.