RE: [fedora] Groups

-----Original Message-----
From: Øyvind Lode [mailto:o-lode@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 15. september 2004 23:46
To: 'fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [fedora] Groups

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:01:20 -0400
From: Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 11:16:45AM -0400, Clint Harshaw wrote:
> What about using your favorite text editor to edit /etc/group and add
> the user to the group there?

: That works, of course, but don't forget to also edit /etc/gshadow. (And
watch out for locking problems.) Generally, I :think using 'gpasswd' is
cleaner.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>

------------------------------

: Hi

: Hi again

: Using useradd -g users john seems the easiest way.
: But A huge stepback is that it removes other group membership of user
john. I wanted to add john to users...

: I got a reply telling me to read the man pages of div useful commands so
that will probably give me the anser how to add : john to groups without
removing him from existing groups.

: I suppose if I edit /etc/groups, /etc/gshadow, /etc/gpasswd etc I will
escape this problem because I then just add users : to john without removing
other groups...

: Using a graphical tool in GNOME or KDE is also a good idea but not for my
config since I don't run X :)

: Øyvind

A quick look in man usermod told me:
# usermod -G users john

This command added john to users without replacing his existing group
membership (login group) which is john.

Please correct me if I'm way off...

Øyvind