Re: /dev/dsp - I don't want to fight with it ... (permissions)

> I have a shell script that records from line in.
> I call shell script from cron.
>
> When I am logged in at console - it works.
> PAM does its thing.
>
> When I am not logged in - permission denied.
>
> In other distributions, this is easily solved by putting the user into
> the audio group, and /dev/dsp has 660 permissions.
>
> I tried doing a similar thing with fedora.
> Unfortunately Fedora thinks it is smarter than me, and resets the
> permissions when I reboot.
>
> How do I get Fedora to not revert a change I made for a reason?
> I really don't want to have to be logged in - the point of the cron job
> is to record at a specified time when I'm not home.
>
> Thanks for suggestions.
>
> btw - why doesn't Fedora use an audio group that a sysadmin can simply
> add users to? That really makes a lot more sense than using PAM for this
> - at least to me it does.

I don't know the answer to your last question but I Know why the system
resets the permissions on the sound dev. See file /etc/security/console.perms
under permissions definitions. That is where to sound permissions are set.

--
Richard E Miles
Federal Way WA.