Re: to newcomers: please try to solve the problem yourself before asking

Am Sa, den 11.09.2004 schrieb Dana-Renee Lee um 4:51:

> If I was a new comer to Fedora I would find this message VERY OFFENDING!!!!

Why that? Because of the subject line Marius has chosen? Ok, if just
reading the topic and not the content of the mail, this can be
misleading.

> This list exists because of new comers and old comers using Fedora!!!

Right, nobody is excluded because of lacking experience in the Linux
field or because of starting using Fedora. This list is open for
everyone willing to discuss about Fedora topics, searching for help when
installing or using Fedora. These are the fundamentals stated on

http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/communicate/

More following ...

> To the original poster Marius Andreiana, and I am an old comer you can kiss
> my white ass!!!

Dear Dana-Renee, now I am really offended by your diction. No reason to
become that harsh and assault Marius this way. So come down to
arguments.

> Yes I do take offence to your alienating anyone needing information and
> help!
> If you do not want to help someone then keep your mouth shut and allow
> others that want to share do so!!!

Hey, hey - you did get him wrong. He did not say nor mean that beginners
(or runaways) can not expect help. Of course anyone can get help here
(see above comments).

But there is a difference between help and support. This is no support
list. I take the meaning of "support" from what is written on the main
site of http://fedora.redhat.com:

"The Fedora Project is a Red-Hat-sponsored and community-supported open
source project. It is also a proving ground for new technology that may
eventually make its way into Red Hat products. It is not a supported
product of Red Hat, Inc."

You can expect support when you pay for. And this means to directly
contact the support team without need to previous self-investigation.
But help here on the list, among a shuffled community of volunteers,
means that everyone can hope to get a quick and satisfying help when
facing problems. There is no demand. And as this is volunteers work I
feel that someone searching for help should be expected to have done at
least a bit of self efforts to find a solution for the problem case.
Nothing else did Marius express. Needing help always means to be in a
learning process, and learning always involves work, endeavor for the
learner.

A lot of users have shown in the past, that they tried to help
themselves first and then posted with a nice problem description, along
with information about what they did try so far. And there is a small
part of other postings, where you quickly see that the poster did not do
anything to find out an answer himself, but expecting a nice answer by
the community. This is especially the case for FAQs.

> Dam this pisses me off that someone would be this small and would bitch
> about users
> Of this group helping each other!!!

Please reread again. I really hope you understand what the pointers by
Marius have been. Nobody "bitches" users joining the Fedora community.
This list is very helpful for all kind of problems and posters of
different skill levels. A lot of people contribute with high quality
answers and statements.

I only see you ranting and reviewing the 15 mails by you on this list in
2004 I have an impression where you come from. And I do not really see
that you are personally someone who generously answers to extend
especially those questions to which poster's the comment by Marius was
addressed to.

Please rethink how you express yourself on this list.

> Renee Lee

Alexander

P.S. Btw. your posting style is against this list's netiquette: You do TOFU postings - top-postings with full quotes.
Not even signatures are stripped by you. This is something you should learn. And your mail client does strange
line wrappings.

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 18:17:14 up 12 days, 15:33, load average: 0.84, 0.57, 0.48