Re: FC1 not responding

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 03:59:31PM +0200, Alexander Apprich wrote:
> Jeffrey Mutonho wrote:
> >Hi
> >I've got a machine running FC1 and sometimes it just stops responding
> >to the any key strokes on the keyboard.I noticed that the keyboard
> >LEDs keep flashing when this happens.The mouse pointer responds to any
> >movement I make with the mouse , but not to clicks.I have  to reboot
> >the machine to get to work again.
> >Any ideas?
>
> Probably an kernel oops. Check the logs after the reboot. I had a
> similar problem with RH9 and a winmodem.

Turn off screen savers except perhaps 'blank screen'.

You did no mention which kernel you are running and what
hardware...  You should be running the latest FC1 kernel
and be looking at an upgrade (see FC3 schedule).

If there is nothing in the logs inspect the hardware.  In general
Linux software errors leave messages in logs.

Make sure all the fans are running and that the heat sinks
and vents are dust free.

Run memory tests... etc.

I like the notion of a "Bright Light Inspection".  Open
the box and look for problems.  Cables that rub against the
case or fans with restricted air flow... all the obvious.

Here in the US we are looking at some of the hottest weather
of the year.  How warm is the room you keep the box in...

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Just say no to 74LS73 in 2004