up2date inefficiency.

The most recent kdelibs update highlights an annoying up2date wart. I've seen this happen before.

It looks like one of the updated packages has a new dependency on lm_sensors. Because the new dependency is not satisfied by any of the pulled packages from the update directory, up2date then goes off and downloads the headers from every package in the base FC 2 channel.

All 800+ of them, one at a time. Looking for a package from base that satisfies the unresolved dependency.

This whole process, of hitting download.redhat.com, or one of its mirrors, took quite a bit of time. Furthermore, it looks like up2date went in alphabetical order, but it didn't even bother stopping after it read the headers for the lm_sensors RPM (which eventually satisfied the dependency). I watched, with some amusement, as it continued to chew through the rest of the core RPMs, all the way until zsh-html.

There's got to be a better way of doing this.