Re: FC2 Install does not Create Boot DISK?

John Best wrote:

I finally got my LINUX system installed.  But one issue remains.

I specified not to use the grub loader to prevent possible corruption/issues
with my existing windows system.

Unlike my previous redhat installations, FC2 did not automatically prompt me
to make a boot disk...(WHY NOT??????)

This gets asked every single week, and it's getting annoying. Especially considering it's in the release notes, archive, faq, and google will most certainly bring up the answer to this as well.

There is no boot floppy because the new kernel won't fit on it. It's that simple.

It did inform me that one needed to be created, but never offered me the option to make one during installation...

Now that I have it installed, how can I boot it????

I previously used a floppy to boot, but could be persuaded to move to
CD's...

No need for persuasion, you have no choice. Either boot via CD or USB flash disk.

Also, since I cannot get to Linux to use cdrecord/xcdroast to create cd's from a boot image. I would need to know a good way to create a boot image from WINDOWS 8^(

They're all on the CD under /images I believe. Even one for CD and one for USB flash disk. Nero is most used, but any CD writing program that can write ISO images will do.

Or is there a way I can get to linux to make the boot disk? (USE RESCUE???)

You can use Windows.

OR - you could simply install grub. If you're worried about corruption, you may have a right to be, because there has been some dual booting issues with FC2, but you have your backup, and there have been fixes for this issue for a long time. Again, archives, faq, release notes or google will turn it up.

Look, if there's any more people on this list who haven't installed FC2 as of yet, please read all notes before you jump in.

Regards,
Ed.