Re: aic7xx system hangs

Jeremy Conlin wrote:

> I recently installed Fedora Core 2 on a Dell PowerEdge 2400 server that
> previously ran Red Hat 9.  The installation appears to proceed
> normally.  The problem is it never boots entirely.  It hangs with the
> following as the last message (after removing quiet mode):

> So I think this might be related to the SCSI adapter(s) I have in the
> machine.  I have searched far and wide on this great world wide web of
> ours and have found many issues that seem related.  I have even posted
> messages on this mailing list when I thought it was a different
> problem.  I am starting a new thread with a (hopefully) clearer
> subject.

Is the SCSI device your main disk, or is it inessential?
I'm no guru, but if I had this error I would try the following:

(1) Try booting with "linux noprobe".

(2) Try adding scsi_adapter=off to /etc/modprobe.conf

(3) Try moving the aic7xxx entries from /lib/modules/<kernel version>

(3) Try booting with "linux pci=off"

(4) If the SCSI device is inessential, remove the SCSI card

If you get the machine to boot, I would re-compile the kernel,
perhaps with the SCSI driver in the kernel proper rather than a module.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366