Re: Printing man pages in A4 paper

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 07:32:38PM -0300, romildo@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I use the command line
>
>    $ man -t setfont | lpr
>
> to print the manual page for setfont. But the
> command "man -t setfont" outputs a PostScript
> file formated for letter paper.
>
> How can I get it to format for A4 paper?

With some help and some searching, I came to this
solution:

The groff home page (http://www.gnu.org/software/groff/groff.html),
in the section "macro packages", tells about the option
"-dpaper=<size>" available to groff through the papersize.tmac file.

It is enough to edit /etc/man.conf and add the options
"-dpaper=a4 -P-pa4" to the line which reads
"TROFF/usr/bin/groff -Tps -mandoc", which becomes:

TROFF   /usr/bin/groff -Tps -dpaper=a4 -P-pa4 -mandoc

With this setup, the command "man -t setfont" will
output a PostScript file formatted for A4 paper by
groff.

This solution is better than using enscript because
it does typography considerations (by groff) when
producing the output.

Regards.

Romildo