Re: DNS, DHCP Settings on FC1

Am Di, den 07.09.2004 schrieb usmany@xxxxxxxxxx um 16:45:

> Q. What is the difference between configuring/installing above using terminal and using webmin?

Former is requiring deeper knowledge of correct syntax for the
configuration files, later is more a click&run solution. Using webmin
often means - like with other GUI tools - that hand editing of such
controlled config files make them useless for the GUI tool.

> I configured my DNS and DHCP servers using boths means of config... I want to know if that will be a
> problem or not and which will be more active and right syntax of configuring boths servers?

I may raise problems like explained above.

The last part of your question I do not understand. Which "both
servers"? And what do you mean by "more active and right syntax"?

Either you invest a fair amount of time and brain on understanding how a
DNS and DHCP server works and how it is to be configured or you try your
luck with just using "clickable" tools. I personally feel that running
such elementary servers - elementary for each network - you will have to
at least mostly understand how they work and interact. Using GUI tools
will not provide you such information.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 18:38:05 up 8 days, 15:54, load average: 0.18, 0.22, 0.21