Re: Verizon DSL

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 16:12, Travis Fraser wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 14:34, Mike Burger wrote:
> > On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Austin Isler wrote:

> > > Mike Burger wrote:
> > >
> > > Verizon DSL does not require a login. So the roaring penguin software
> > > is useless.
> >
> > Since when?  My brother's Verizon DSL connection requires PPPoE
> > authentication, as do the 9 or 10 other connections I helped set up,
> > before I moved out of Verizon-land.
> >
> > > If you have a router, make sure your pc points to the routers IP as
> > > the Primary DNS and then enter into the DNS search path: dsl-verizon.net
> >
> > The router might also need the authentication information.
> >
> > However, let's find out for sure.  Joseph...did you receive a user name
> > and password that you were supposed to use with your DSL connection?
> > --
>
> I helped a friend in Philadelphia setup Verizon DSL recently. The
> connection is ethernet to the DSL modem that came in his install kit. He
> used a username/password initially when setting up the modem under
> windows. When we hooked up his linux box, the modem handed him an
> address via dhcp and it just works. No authentication or any pppoe.
>
> Travis Fraser

Your description says it DOES use authentication.  You had to put the
info into the modem to make it connect.  Once that has been done the
modem does not care what is attached on the back side by ethernet.  It
still uses PPPoE and authentication to connect.

No PPPoE on the LAN side, but PPPoE on the provider (verison) side.