Re: Verizon DSL

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Travis Fraser wrote:

> > However, let's find out for sure.  Joseph...did you receive a user name
> > and password that you were supposed to use with your DSL connection?
> > --
>
> I helped a friend in Philadelphia setup Verizon DSL recently. The
> connection is ethernet to the DSL modem that came in his install kit. He
> used a username/password initially when setting up the modem under
> windows. When we hooked up his linux box, the modem handed him an
> address via dhcp and it just works. No authentication or any pppoe.

Yeah, and the modem (which is actually a router/firewall) stored the
authentication information.  The modem is doing the PPPoE authentication
for him.

Net result...PPPoE and authentication is still required, it's just not
happening on the PC end.

If the original requestor's system is not hooked to a router/firewall
unit, though, but just a straight DSL modem, then he needs to either get a
piece of hardware to do the authentication, or get the Roaring Penguin
PPPoE client installed and/or configured.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit