Re: Modules question

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 13:29, Thomas E. Dukes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> About a year ago, I installed an ide CDRW.  I added the following lines to
> modules.conf:
>
> options ide-cd ignore=hdb
> pre-install sg     modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sg
> pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sr_mod
> pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd # load ide-cd   before ide-scsi
>
> Since upgrading from RH 9 to FC 2, I now get "fatal error" at boot up for sg
> module. What is the sg module?  The reason I ask is that under RH 9, I
> always got an error about sound.  My mother board does not have sound nor do
> I have a sound card.  So I'm sure that's why I got the sound error under RH
> 9.
>
> Is the sg module for sound?  If so, can I comment it out without affecting
> the operation of the CDRW?

"sg" is "scsi generic", commonly used for things like scanners.

2.6 kernels, unlike 2.4 kernels, do not require ide-scsi to burn to
ATAPI CD writers. The 2.6 kernel also uses modprobe.conf rather than
modules.conf; you shouldn't need any of the lines above in your
modprobe.conf file.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>