Re: Help installing fedora 2 on laptop please (no video after install)

Am Do, den 02.09.2004 schrieb bryan2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx um 20:22:
> I am trying to install fedora 2 on a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop.

OK, I don't use a Dell and can't give any specific advice. But because
nobody answered your question, I may give some general hints. Perhaps
they are useful in some way.

> I got the
> graphic install to work using the install parameter expert vga=2. The install
> seemed to proceed with out and issues except I got a screen wanting me to
> identify my monitor. I tried several choices (dell laptop different
> resolutions) and leaving it undeclared.

That may be a bad idea. Did you try to declare it as "general LCD
screen" (or a quite similar wording, second choice from the list if I
remember correctly) and select the appropriate resolution here?

> Every time I did the install, after the
> system reboots I get a blank screen after I get the message please press I for
> interactive boot. Sometimes I will get the steps it is going through to boot
> and seems to hang after the [OK] on the Swap disk line.
> Does anyone one know what I need to do differently in the install or at boot up
> to get this system to work? I was running Fedora 1 before I tried a clean
> install of fedora 2.

Two things may be helpful:

- inspect the file /var/log/DXorg.0.log
- compare the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with the correspondig file
  of your fedora 1 installation.
- try  system-config-display --reconfig, but save the current
   /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to bak before doing so

Good luck
Peter