Lost FC2 partition, considering options...

Thanks to a freak acident (PCI IDE controller breaking loose!!), my root partition has been lost. I've got nightly backups of /home and /etc and the drives themselves seem fine though, so it's not *that* bad.

I'm wondering what to do now, FC3t1 looks interesting, but with test2 out in a few days it might not be the best choice. I'd like to help out the development, but don't want to have to do a full reinstall for a long time.

Are the Fedora Cores just a collection of packages known to work with each other (like Debian etc)? For example if I pointed a FC3t1 computer at a t2 yum/apt repo does it become test2?

Apart from bandwidth, is there any disadvantage in getting FC3t1 now, then updating to t2 and FINAL via apt, rather than getting the ISOs for each new release? Does anaconda upgrading versions of Fedora Core just upgrade the RPMs in the same way yum or apt would, or is there more to it?

On pretty much the same theme, I know someone with FC1, can I just point him at a FC2/3 repository or is there some reason why he should get the ISOs?

--
Ta,
Jim