Re: Verizon DSL

On Friday 03 September 2004 11:14 am, Joseph Gumbosky wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> Last night, I installed Fedora CORE 2 over my Xandros2 partition.  (I was
> dual booting Xandros and XP.)  The installation went flawlessly.  It
> recognized the Xandros partition as Linux and gave me the option of
> overwriting only that part of the disk.  I can now boot into Fedora or XP.
> No problems.  Nice job!
>
> Now, I'm a bit spoiled with Xandros.  But, Fedora seems quite usable to
> me...with just one issue.
>
> I cannot access the internet.  I use Verizon's DSL service connected through
> the Ethernet port.  When I use the connection wizard, it detects
> "eth0(RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+)."  Then I get a message, "Cannot activate
> network device VerizonDSL!"
>
> However, when I log out and shut down, part of the dialog on the screen is
> as follows:
>
> Shutting down VerizonDSL........OK
>
> Shutting down VerizonDSL........FAILED
>
> I know that Verizon does not support Linux.  Is there some way of getting
> access to the net with Fedora?

Joe,

Enclosed are notes I wrote for myself when I used Verizon ADSL.
They are pretty sparse but you may find them useful.

 + Become root user
 + Make sure to delete the eth0 device, use redhat-config-network-druid
 + Then run /sbin/adsl-setup

     [Answer the Easy Questions... Here is the Summary]

     Ethernet Interface: eth0
     User name:          <your user name here>
     Activate-on-demand: No
     DNS addresses:      Supplied by ISP's server
     Firewalling:        STANDALONE
     User Control:       yes
     Accept these settings and adjust configuration files (y/n)? y
     Adjusting /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0
     Adjusting /etc/ppp/chap-secrets and /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
       (But first backing it up to /etc/ppp/chap-secrets.bak)
       (But first backing it up to /etc/ppp/pap-secrets.bak)

     Congratulations, it should be all set up!

     Type '/sbin/ifup ppp0' to bring up your xDSL link and
        '/sbin/ifdown ppp0'to bring it down.
     Type '/sbin/adsl-status /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0'
        to see the link status.

 + Then you may need to stop the firewall (/etc/init.d/iptables stop)
 + Then you can use lokkit to put back the firewall after you know
   things work.