Re: sound problem

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thornton" <thornton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2004 6:36 AM
Subject: Re: sound problem

> I just tried gstreamer-properties and that didn't get sound working
> either.  I know it isnt hardware as I used a knoppix bootup disk and
> sound works fine in that.  I tried the different options there and I may
> try custom and see what I can do with that.
>
> Thanks!
>

> On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 03:20, Andrea Giuliano wrote:
> > Thornton wrote:
> >
> > >I am having a problem with my sound card.  It just doesn't play
anything
> > >anymore in any app.  Basically its dead.  I tried to detect sound card
> > >and it located it, clicked
> > >test sound and nothing plays.  It used to work fine.  I haven't
> > >installed anything new or anything like that.  Just the up2date
> > >updates.  Could any of them effected my sound.  I am using a
> > >asus mb w/ a nvidia sound card.
> > >
> > >Any suggestions would be great.
> > >
> > >Thank you
> > >----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >- Thornton                       thornton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
> > >- Cierra Group                            http://www.cierragroup.com -
> > >----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >

> > Have you tried "gstreamer-properties" from the command line? Some months
> > ago I solved a similar problem hacking with this application, but I'm
> > note sure it's the right solution for you. At least you could try.
> >
> > Also, are you sure you have no problem with the external "hardware"? I
> > mean, loud speakers, jacks, wires and such? If the s.c. is damaged, I
> > guess some odd message would be issued by some sound related
> > application, but you say that doesn't happen...
> >
> > I know, it's not too much, sorry...
> >
> > --
> > Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
> > ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico
> > Viale Castro Pretorio 105, Rome - ITALY
> > Tel. +39064989509, Fax +39064059302

Hi Thornton,
When you used Up2Date, did it update the kernel and what kernel are/were you
running.  Have you tried booting into a previous kernel to see if the SC
works?  I just finished getting mine working.  It isn't the same card, but I
wonder if the problem could be similar.  If you are running kernel 2.6 vice
kernel 2.4, then you have ALSA support built into the kernel.  Perhaps you
could check in a terminal window (as root) "alsamixer" and see if anything
is muted.  That turned out to be what was wrong with my card.  If that is
the problem, then it is a relatively easy fix.  HTH.
Later,
BJ