Re: Doubt about ADSL Security

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 16:17, fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> From: "cviniciusm" <cviniciusm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Doubt about ADSL security.
> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> Hello,
>
> I have a nic card and a ADSL modem. The ADSL modem thas NAT, Firewall,
> IP Filter and DHCP Server. The nic card has a private IP address and
> the modem has a public IP address. All just works fine. The firewall
> has attack protection and DOS protection both active. Need I more
> protection, on Windows 2000 and on Fedora Core 2?
>
> Thanks in advance, Vinicius.

If you really want to protect yourself, get a software firewall like
IPCop or Smothwall. I use IPCop and it needs very liitle disk space or a
fast processor. The minimum you will need is 2 NIC's (GREEN - RED) and
then change your Router to a switch. I run 7 servers and 4 laptops
behind IPCop and have run all the penetration scans with none breaking
through. I even ran an XP SP1 without any firewall (Zonealarm) and it
came out protected.

What you really need is stateful inspection of the packets (IPTable does
this).

You can find IPCop at http://www/ipcop.org and Smoothwall at
http://www.smoothwall.org (Both are based on RedHat 7.2)

JM2cents