From: Paul Bryce <pbryce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:06:20 +1000
Subject: Re: Newbie & Questions
To: Greg Lobring <globring@xxxxxxxxx>, For users of Fedora Core
releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

 Greg Lobring wrote:
 Hi everyone, I just installed FC2 on my old Dell XPS R-450, and the
install went great. Forgive the newbie questions I will ask until I
get used to everything...two things to start off... 1. I clicked the
Red Hat Network Alert Notification Tool, and installed everything that
needed it. However, whenever I click it now, it says, "Your system is
currently running kernel-2.6.5-1.358 but the newest installed kernel
is kernel-2.6.8-1.521. It is recommended that you reboot at the first
opportunity to test this new kernel." Well I have rebooted several
times, and still get this message. Is there something I need to do to
start using the new kernel? Running up2date tells me everything is up
to date. 2. I downloaded and installed Firefox (I like it better than
Mozilla). However, I can't seem to get an icon on the taskbar for it.
And I don't see it anywhere in my Menu Bar. I am able to run it using
the Run command dialog box by pointing to the file in the folder where
I installed it. I am running Gnome desktop. I guess I am still too
used to Windows and need to re-adjust myself. Any help is appreciated.
Many thanks! Greg When I changed over to Firefox I siply opened the
properties (right click) of the existing Web Browser icon and changed
the command to /usr/Firefox/firefox (which is where the exec lies on
my system) - works fine...

 I believe Thornton has answered your first question.

 Regards,

 Paul Bryce

--
 "...chance favours the prepared mind" Louis Pasteur "One crowded hour
of glorious life is worth more than an a lifetime without a name"