Newbie & Questions

Hi everyone, I just installed FC2 on my old Dell XPS R-450, and the
install went great. Forgive the newbie questions I will ask until I
get used to everything...two things to start off...

1. I clicked the Red Hat Network Alert Notification Tool, and
installed everything that needed it. However, whenever I click it now,
it says, "Your system is currently running kernel-2.6.5-1.358 but the
newest installed kernel is kernel-2.6.8-1.521. It is recommended that
you reboot at the first opportunity to test this new kernel."

Well I have rebooted several times, and still get this message. Is
there something I need to do to start using the new kernel? Running
up2date tells me everything is up to date.

2. I downloaded and installed Firefox (I like it better than Mozilla).
However, I can't seem to get an icon on the taskbar for it. And I
don't see it anywhere in my Menu Bar. I am able to run it using the
Run command dialog box by pointing to the file in the folder where I
installed it. I am running Gnome desktop.

I guess I am still too used to Windows and need to re-adjust myself.
Any help is appreciated. Many thanks!

Greg