Re: How Can I Improve Linux Speed

On 14:28 31 Aug 2004, Aly Dharshi <aly.dharshi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| 	The first thing that comes to mind is that of using a lightweight
| 	windowing system such as XFce, there are rpms available for FC2 all over
| the place.

Indeed. I was using FVWM very happily on a 233MHz box with 96MB of RAM.

| 	Secondly, what sort of installation did you chose ? Laptop,
| 	Workstation etc etc, that makes a difference, make sure that you have all
| services that you don't use turned off, such as Sendmail, SQL servers etc
| etc.

Personally, if I have the disc space, I install EVERYTHING.  Then turn
some stuff off with chkconfig afterwards.  Anyway, aside from some load
at startup, having lots of services "up" shoulnd't matter much because
they will generally be idle, and thus swapped out. Of course, using them
will need them swapped in again and that's a performance hit at the time.

So I say: install lots, but disable the stuff you don't use.

| 	I guess that the other thing that you could do is make some hardware
| improvements if you can. This means more RAM ! but before you go down that
| route try XFce and turning off services that you don't need. I don't know
| your experience level with Linux but you can also chuck packages that you
| don't think that you would use off the laptop. I suggest this as the last
| last last resort.

I hear anecdotal evidence that a faster hard drive will help (assuming
you have to do lots of I/O, which you may); laptop harddrives are often
quite slow; look for a faster spinning one (5400rpm is common now,
they use to be commonly 4200rpm) and better still a faster stepping one
(low seek times), as that's where the real speed cost tends to be imposed.

But:
	- run less stuff - this means not Gnome/KDE, which have rather
	  heavyweight environments, in particular desktop managers

	- avoid screen wallpaper - this costs RAM

	- choose a lightweight window manager (eg XFce or FVWM or IceWM);
	  I use FVWM, my girlfriend uses IceWM and lots of people like XFce.

	- choose a lightweight desktop manager, such as the Rox tools:
		http://freshmeat.net/projects/rox-filer/
		http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/SoftwareIndex
	  or of course just use lots of shell windows, which is what I do:-)

| 	So your friends at the moment would be the rpm command, serviceconf
| 	in the very least and ps -ef for finding out what you are running.

I like "ps axf" myself.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government
working for you.        - Will Rogers