Re: Hyper Threading on P4

Matthias Bauw wrote:

hi,

I was in fact wondering how to get the most out of my P4 3.0Ghz with
Hyper Threading.

Watch out that the intel marketing monster doesn't kick you in the shorts. You still have only one CPU. Turning virtual CPUs on in our dual P4 boxes ("four" CPUs) severely degraded the box performance. In many cases all turning on virtual CPUs does is make linux, under certain loads, to think "hey, I can shuffle things off to another CPU"--false in this case (it's the same CPU) and there is overhead to swapping processes between CPUs, thus yielding "less than 0" performance increase.

---
John