Re: RPM Builds and System Optimization

David Cary Hart wrote:

Most of the Fedora RPMS are provided as i386. These can easily be
recompiled as:

rpmbuild --target i686 --rebuild package.src.rpm

a. Is it worth it? In other words, is there really a performance gain in
packages like - say - KDE?

The common wisdom is that it won't make a huge difference, but when you build new packages from source you may as well use them.

Personally, I wouldn't bother recompiling everything; just new stuff that I'm building from source anyway.

--

-John (john@xxxxxxxxxxx)